Pedestrian Accidents on the Rise in St. Pete
A Fox 13 News report on a recent fatal pedestrian accident in St. Petersburg highlights how common and how dangerous car accidents are in St. Petersburg. Pedestrians are obviously the most vulnerable of all when it comes to traffic accidents, and this article helps point out how true this is. If you or someone you love has been injured – or worse – by a driver’s negligence in a pedestrian accident, don’t delay consulting with an experienced St. Petersburg pedestrian accident attorney.
The police share that the accident in question happened after 10 PM on Pasadena Avenue when a motorist in a 2003 Ford F-150 who was traveling in the southbound lane closest to the curb struck a man who was crossing Pasadena (walking from the east side of the street to the west at Pinellas Way North). The truck’s driver – who stopped at the scene – hadn’t seen the pedestrian, and the accident victim died at the scene. The motorist is cooperating with the police in their accident investigation. As quickly as that, a pedestrian can lose his life – and the driver involved (who does not appear to have been impaired at the time) has no explanation for how it happened.
Pedestrian accidents like the one reported are among the most dangerous accidents on our streets and highways. All of the following factors play a role when it comes to the vulnerability of pedestrians in traffic accidents:
- Because of their relatively tiny size, they are far more difficult to see on the road.
- They don’t have the heavy shell of a vehicle to protect them from the impact of an accident.
- They are often injured in intersections – where traffic traveling in all directions converges and where driver distraction is especially dangerous.
- Even relatively minor driver negligence can lead to a life-threatening pedestrian accident.
Common Forms of Driver Negligence
Pedestrian accidents are very often caused by driver negligence, and unfortunately, this negligence comes in a wide range of dangerous varieties that include:
- Distraction – Motorists who are engrossed with their smartphones (the most common and most dangerous distraction out there) don’t pay adequate attention to the road ahead, and this can spell disaster for pedestrians in their midst.
- Impairment – Drunk drivers are, quite simply, among the very most dangerous drivers on our roads.
- Speed – When motorists drive too fast, they decrease the time they have to react safely behind the wheel and increase the risk that any accidents they cause will prove deadly.
- Exhaustion – Exhausted drivers experience many of the same impairments that drunk drivers do, which often means trouble for pedestrians.
It’s Time to Consult with an Experienced St. Petersburg Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you've been injured in a pedestrian accident, the skilled St. Petersburg pedestrian accident attorneys at Tragos, Sartes & Tragos have the experience, skill, and resources to help. We’re on your side, so please don’t wait to contact or call us at 727-441-9030 today.