FREE CONSULTATION 24/7(727) 441-9030

What to Do When You Get into a Car Accident Out-of-State

You have a couple of days off work and decide to take a road trip on U.S. 41 to see some historic towns. As you reach the end of your scenic trip, you decide to keep driving into Georgia. A few miles into Georgia, another driver rear ends you, an abrupt ending to an otherwise pleasant trip.

Does your Florida car insurance guarantee you cover for an out-of-state accident? The circumstances of the accident can make this a complex answer. Thankfully, the Law Offices of Tragos, Sartes & Tragos is here to help.

Florida Insurance Coverage

The state of Florida requires that all drivers carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL). The minimum Florida coverage requirements are 10/20/10, meaning that Florida residents are required to carry $10,000 in personal injury protection per person, $20,000 in personal injury protection per accident, and $10,000 in property damage liability.

However, if your vehicle is registered as a taxi, then your policy minimum requirements increase to 125/250/50, meaning that you must carry $125,000 in personal injury protection per person, $250,000 in personal injury protection per accident, and $50,000 in property damage liability.

Florida’s personal injury protection typically covers 80% of reasonable medical bills and will reimburse you for 60% in lost wages (up to $10,000), regardless of who was at fault. Florida is a “no-fault” car insurance state, meaning that your car insurance will cover any losses sustained to the insured, regardless of which driver was at fault.

Does My Coverage Change if I Have an Out-of-State Accident?

In the introductory example, if a Florida resident was involved in a collision in Georgia, they would most likely not file a claim through their insurance. Since Georgia is a “tort” or “at-fault” state regarding car insurance, if the Georgia driver was ultimately responsible for the accident, their insurance would cover any claims submitted by both drivers.

With some insurance carriers, the above outcome only applies if you were in your own insured vehicle when the accident occurred. Since you are the “named insured” on your policy, if you are driving your insured vehicle while out-of-state, you will still be covered.

However, in a scenario where you rented a car because your current vehicle is in the shop, your auto policy may still cover you if you get into a collision outside of Florida. The policy will specifically state that your no-fault coverage applies if you are using a “temporary substitute car.”

Depending on the terms of your insurance policy, the circumstances of the accident will determine your coverage. It is important to read the fine print of your insurance policy to determine the coverage for your specific situation.

Next Steps Following an Out-of-State Accident

No matter your specific circumstances, you need to notify your insurance company following an accident. When you do contact your insurance company, specify in which state the accident occurred and if you were driving your own insured vehicle or had a rental car.

Next, you should contact an experienced Florida auto accident attorney. Since insurance coverage can be confusing, a Florida auto accident attorney can review your insurance policy and answer any questions you may have.

Speak with a Florida Car Accident Lawyer

With millions of dollars recovered for car accident victims, Tragos, Sartes & Tragos proudly serves the Tampa area. If you are seeking aggressive legal representation, contact us today and allow us to fight for the compensation you deserve.