Common Boating Accident Statistics in Florida
While there are a lot of great places for boating across our nation, none of them can beat Florida for its long stretches of beautiful waterways. Along with all that fun in the sun, however, come far too many boating accidents – and the hard, cold statistics to back this claim up. If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in a boating accident, it’s time to connect with an experienced Tampa boating accident attorney.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Weighs In
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission publishes statistics related to boating accidents each year, and the numbers are quite telling. Consider the following:
- In 2019 alone, there were 723 boating accidents reported in the State of Florida.
- That same year, there were 66 boating-related fatalities that included 7 missing people who are presumed dead.
- Florida has more registered vessels than any other state in the nation (with 961,266).
The majority of these boating fatalities resulted when boat occupants fell overboard, and the leading cause of death in these cases was drowning. Further, alcohol and drug use had a hand in 32 percent of the state’s total boating fatalities. The Commission also shares that Florida leads the nation in terms of annual boating fatalities. In other words, the threat of dangerous boating accidents in the State of Florida is very real.
The Unique Dangers of Boats
When you go out on a boat, you’re in recreation mode, and being injured in an accident is likely the last thing on your mind. The fact is, however, that boats are uniquely dangerous, and if the operator at the helm of the boat you’re on – or the operator of any other boat on the waterway – engages in negligent practices, it leaves you exceptionally vulnerable to serious injuries. Consider the following dangers that are unique to boating:
- When you’re on a boat, you’re unlikely to have a dedicated seatbelt (if you even have a dedicated seat). Further, boats lack the protective cover that vehicles have (to help protect you from the impact of an accident).
- When you’re on a boat, there is the very real danger of drowning in an accident (the leading cause of boating accident fatalities).
- When you’re on a boat, the atmosphere tends to be more about the party and far less about the safety of the boat’s occupants, which can contribute to boating accidents.
Don’t Put off Consulting with an Experienced Tampa Boating Accident Attorney
Florida sees more than its fair share of boating accidents, and far too many of these are fatal. If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in a boating accident, the trusted Tampa boating accident attorneys at Tragos, Sartes & Tragos are committed to employing their impressive experience in defense of your rights and in pursuit of your claim’s best possible resolution. We’re here to help you, so please do not wait to contact us online or call us at 813-223-6405 for more information today.