Can I Sue a Rental Car Agency if the Car is Defective?
If you have ever rented a car before, chances are that there were several disclaimers in the contract. You probably signed it without reading it closely and just wanted to get on the road as soon as possible.
However, if something goes wrong with your rental car during your drive, it can cause the vehicle to malfunction, and it could result in a serious accident and injuries. If this happens, the legal landscape can be complicated, and you want an experienced Clearwater car accident lawyer on your side.
How Defects Can Lead to Crashes and Injuries
There are many ways that vehicle defects can cause injuries from accidents, and this is true whether it is a car you own or a rental vehicle. Some malfunctions that might injure someone include:
- Brakes that give out and prevent you from slowing down or stopping when needed
- Exhaust systems that might cause carbon monoxide exposure and illness
- Steering systems that lock up and keep you from controlling the car
- Electrical issues that result in a car fire
- Seat belts or airbags that malfunction and cause additional injuries in a crash
- Tires that are defective or overly worn and blow out, causing you to lose control
These are only some examples of how a defective rental vehicle can result in injuries.
What if You're Injured Due to a Defective Rental Car?
If you're injured due to a defective car, then the rental agency may be liable under certain circumstances. However, there can also be other parties that are responsible for your injuries, such as vehicle manufacturers, roadside assistance providers, or auto repair shops.
- If the defect was inherent in the vehicle from the time it was manufactured, the car manufacturer can be liable.
- If the rental agency knew of a vehicle recall due to a defect and failed to have the vehicle repaired, the rental company should be responsible.
- If the defect existed due to a lack of inspection or maintenance of the vehicle, the rental company can be liable.
- If the defect persisted because of inadequate repairs by a repair professional, that company can be accountable.
As you can see, this is a complex situation, to say the least. The best thing to do is have a car accident lawyer examine your situation and investigate possible liability for your injuries.
Contact a Reputable Clearwater Car Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured due to a defective vehicle provided by a rental car agency, you have a complicated legal road ahead of you. Chances are that each party’s insurance company will try to pin liability on other parties, and you need someone advocating for your rights to compensation for your injuries.
The legal team at the Law Offices of Tragos, Sartes & Tragos take on complicated car accident cases, so please contact us today to speak to a member of our team at no cost to you. We know how to help injured crash victims recover financially for their losses.