Palm Harbor Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Catastrophic injuries refer to injuries that have a life-changing impact on a person, for example, that result in a person’s inability to work or perform daily living functions. In these cases, families can be impacted financially and emotionally.
For those in Florida suffering from these life-altering injuries, the assistance of a Palm Harbor catastrophic injury lawyer can be very helpful. An experienced personal injury attorney can help individuals acquire much deserved, but often hard to obtain, compensation for their injuries.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
A person can be catastrophically injured in many ways, but some of the most common causes of these types of injuries include:
- Assault and Battery: There is a rather large occurrence of assault and battery cases throughout the state. Some of the most common ways in which these accidents occur include recreational events, sporting activities, and physical attacks
- Dog Bites and Attacks: In 2013, the American Veterinary Medical Association reported that 20 percent of dog bite victims needed medical attention
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: The Florida Highway Safety Department of Motor Vehicles reports that over 200,000 injuries occur each year due to car accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrian accidents involve a vehicle and a person who is not traveling in or on a vehicle. According to the Florida Department of Transportation, over 9,000 pedestrian accidents occur each year
- Slip and Fall Accidents: These accidents occur when a person falls and becomes injured while visiting a business establishment, home, or any other location
Proving a Catastrophic Injury Case
Catastrophic injury cases must be based on a valid legal theory. Oftentimes, the theory used in court to prove a catastrophic case is that of negligence. Negligence means that someone failed to act as a reasonable person would have behaved under similar circumstances. A Palm Harbor catastrophic injury lawyer can argue that a defendant acted negligently, resulting in the catastrophic injury.
If more than one party is responsible for an accident, more than one person may be held accountable for injuries. Florida courts will assign responsibility for an accident based on how much of a role each party played in causing the accident.
Common Types of Injuries
Some of the most common types of conditions that are considered catastrophic include:
- Accidental Amputations
- Brain Injuries
- Loss of Movement
- Loss of Sensation
- Multiple Fractures
- Respiration Problems
- Severe Burns
- Skin Problems
- Spinal Cord Injuries
In comparison to other lawsuits, catastrophic injury cases are complicated for several reasons. First, the damages involved in catastrophic injury lawsuits are often more complicated. Deciding on the exact value of harm done when the accident victim faces life-altering complications can be particularly challenging.
Second, the availability of funds for compensation can prove challenging in catastrophic injury cases. And finally, in Florida, there are limitations to how much punitive damages a responsible party can pay. That limit is three times the amount of either compensatory damages or $500,000, depending on the greater amount.
How a Palm Harbor Catastrophic Injury Attorney Can Help
If you or a loved one experienced any type of catastrophic injury, a Palm Harbor catastrophic injury lawyer is prepared to fight for your rights. A lawyer can file all necessary paperwork for you, help you negotiate your case, or take your case to trial if needed. Our lawyers have assisted many harmed by serious injuries. Call today to find out how they can help.