What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Florida
Motorcycles are a great way to get around, and there’s no more beautiful place to ride than St. Petersburg and surrounding areas. When you’re on your bike, however, you’re far more vulnerable to serious injuries if an accident does ensue. Knowing the proper steps to take after a motorcycle accident can help ensure that your claim proceeds smoothly and that you obtain just compensation. If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in a motorcycle accident, a dedicated St. Petersburg motorcycle accident attorney can help.
Seek the Medical Attention You Need
Because nothing but your helmet comes between your head and the pavement during a motorcycle accident, even a relatively minor accident can lead to very serious injuries. As such, medical attention is always advised. If you don’t believe you were seriously injured, it’s important to recognize that the symptoms for some serious injuries can be slow to present, which means that if you wait to seek treatment, the injury can progress into something far more serious and far more difficult to treat. When it comes to your health, always err on the side of caution.
At the Scene of the Accident
It’s a good idea to collect evidence at the scene of the accident if you’re able, including the following:
- Statements and contact information from eyewitnesses
- Photos and/or videos that depict not only the accident from every angle but also anything that may have contributed to the accident, such as the condition of the road, the effects of inclement weather on the road, and more
Your motorcycle claim will likely hinge on information emanating from the accident scene, including the police report and your related medical records.
Several important things you can do to help strengthen your claim include:
- Refrain from speaking about the accident at the scene. Anything you say could come back to damage your claim, so reserve your comments to honest, concise responses to any questions directly posed to you by an attending officer. It’s also a good idea to give social media a pass while your claim is pending.
- Jot down your recollections about how the accident happened as soon as you can after the accident. These memories can fade, and it’s an excellent idea to memorialize the sequence of events.
- Carefully follow your doctor’s recommendations. The more seriously you take your injuries, the more seriously the insurance company will have to take them.
- Perhaps the most important step you can take regarding your claim is to consult with an experienced Petersburg personal injury attorney as soon after the accident as possible.
Discuss Your Case with a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another motorist’s negligence, the dedicated St. Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers at Tragos, Sartes & Tragos are committed to crafting your strongest claim in defense of your rights. Obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled is elemental to your recovery, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 727-441-9030 for more information today.